Treating discomfort associated with certain painful muscle conditions. It is usually used along with rest and physical therapy.
Soma is a skeletal muscle relaxant. It works in the brain and spinal cord to relax the muscles. It also causes drowsiness.
Do NOT use Soma if:
* you are allergic to any ingredient in Soma or to similar medicines (eg, meprobamate)
* you have the blood disorder porphyria
* you take sodium oxybate (GHB) or meprobamate
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Soma :
Some medical conditions may interact with Soma . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
* if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
* if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
* if you have allergies to medicines or other substances
* if you have a history of kidney or liver problems, prostate problems, or seizures
* if you have a history of alcohol or other substance abuse or dependence
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Soma . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
* Sodium oxybate (GHB) because severe drowsiness and prolonged sleep may occur
* Meprobamate because it may increase the risk of Soma ‘s side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Soma may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Soma :
Use Soma as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
* Take Soma by mouth with or without food.
* If you miss a dose of Soma , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Soma .
Important safety information:
* Soma may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Soma with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
* Do not drink alcohol while you are using Soma .
* Check with your doctor before you use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Soma ; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
* Soma may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
* Do not take more than the recommended dose or use Soma for longer than 2 to 3 weeks without checking with your doctor.
* Rarely, some patients have experienced an unexpected reaction within minutes or hours after taking this medicine. Contact your doctor or seek medical care right away if you develop severe weakness, paralysis of the arms or legs, severe dizziness, loss of coordination, vision changes (eg, loss of vision, double vision), joint pain, or mental or mood changes (eg, agitation, confusion, disorientation).
* Use Soma with caution in Asian patients; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
* Soma should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
* PREGNANCY AND BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Soma while you are pregnant. Soma is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Soma , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Some people who use Soma for a long time may develop a need to continue taking it. People who take high doses are also at risk. This is known as DEPENDENCE or addiction. If you stop taking Soma suddenly, you may have WITHDRAWAL symptoms. These may include stomach cramps, trouble sleeping, headache, nausea, or seizure.