Free Old Vinyl Music Stream and Download. Classics from 1920 to 1980
Category: 80’s Music
The 1980s was a decade that began January 1, 1980 and ended December 31, 1989. The decade, known as the Excellence Eighties and the Moderation Decade, saw a dominance of conservatism and free market …
The 1980s was a vibrant and influential decade for music, with a wide range of genres and artists leaving their mark on the music industry. Here are some key aspects of 80’s music:
1. **Pop Music Dominance:** The 1980s saw the rise of pop music as a dominant force in the music industry. Artists like Michael Jackson, Madonna, and Prince achieved international superstardom with chart-topping hits.
2. **MTV and Music Videos:** The launch of MTV (Music Television) in 1981 revolutionized the way music was consumed. Music videos became an essential part of promoting songs and artists. Iconic videos like Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” and Madonna’s “Like a Virgin” became cultural phenomena.
3. **Synth-Pop:** Synthesizers played a prominent role in 80’s music, leading to the emergence of synth-pop. Bands like Depeche Mode, New Order, and The Human League created electronic-driven, catchy melodies.
4. **Rock Music Diversity:** Rock music in the 1980s encompassed a wide range of styles, from classic rock (e.g., Led Zeppelin, AC/DC) to glam rock (e.g., David Bowie, Def Leppard) to hair metal (e.g., Bon Jovi, Motley Crue).
5. **Hip-Hop Emergence:** Hip-hop music began to gain prominence in the 1980s, with artists like Run-D.M.C., LL Cool J, and Grandmaster Flash contributing to its rise.
6. **New Wave:** The New Wave genre combined elements of punk rock and pop, featuring artists like The Police, Blondie, and Talking Heads. These bands often incorporated a quirky and artful approach to their music.
7. **Ballads and Power Ballads:** Ballads and power ballads were a significant part of 80’s music. Artists like Whitney Houston, Phil Collins, and Heart delivered emotionally charged and memorable ballads.
8. **Dance Music:** The 1980s also saw the rise of dance music, with genres like disco transitioning into new forms, including dance-pop and electronic dance music (EDM). Songs like “Billie Jean” by Michael Jackson and “Into the Groove” by Madonna were dancefloor hits.
9. **Alternative and Indie:** The 1980s laid the groundwork for the alternative and indie music scenes that would flourish in the following decades. Bands like R.E.M., The Smiths, and The Cure had a significant impact on these genres.
10. **Soundtracks:** Movie soundtracks played a crucial role in promoting music in the 1980s. Iconic soundtracks like “Footloose,” “Top Gun,” and “Dirty Dancing” featured hit songs that became chart-toppers.
11. **Global Influence:** 80’s music had a global influence, with artists from various countries making their mark. British acts like Duran Duran and Queen achieved international fame, while Australian bands like INXS gained recognition.
12. **Music Festivals:** The 1980s witnessed the growth of music festivals, including iconic events like Live Aid in 1985, which featured performances by some of the era’s biggest stars.
13. **Technological Advancements:** Advancements in music technology, including the use of digital synthesizers and drum machines, shaped the sound of 80’s music.
The 1980s remains a beloved and nostalgic era for music enthusiasts, with its diverse and memorable soundtracks capturing the spirit and culture of the time. Many 80’s songs continue to be celebrated and enjoyed today, making it a classic era in the history of popular music.